What is this subject about?
Throughout this subject students develop an understanding of reproduction, pregnancy, issues related to teenage pregnancy (including the costs, physical, social and emotional), pregnancy health concerns, birth and the development of the child until the age of 2 (including feeding, sleep patterns, development, percentile charts, clothing etc.)
What are we going to be studying?
* Male and female reproductive systems.
* Dimensions of health and individual human development.
* The menstrual cycle.
* Pregnancy testing.
* Problems and concerns during pregnancy.
* The 3 stages of prenatal development.
* Environmental factors that influence prenatal development including nutrition.
* Baby Think it Over program.
* Birth – process/types.
* Postnatal care of the mother and the baby, including community resources available.
*Feeding: Breast versus bottle.
* Sleeping patterns and SIDS.
* Growth of the child, including the principles of development and growth monitoring.
* Nutrition of the child.
Where does this subject go?
This subject will give you a great lead into the following VCE subject/s:
* VCE Health & Human Development.
This subject is advantageous if you’re looking at these careers:
* Medical Practitioner, nurse, midwife, paramedic etc.
* Chiropractor, dietitian, homeopath, physiotherapist, osteopath etc.
* Counsellor, social worker, speech pathologist etc.