Do you to love to design with the aid of a computer? Year 10 Computer Design Unit complements the Year 10 Viscom unit as it provides you with an opportunity to design and create using the computer. You will learn how to successfully use and apply Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign in the production of a variety of well finished and highly professional design tasks.
Photoshop is a program that is used to manipulate or enhance photographic images, illustrator is a drawing program that would be used in the creation of logos and InDesign is a page layout program that is used to put together final presentations. Together these programs can provide you with the tools to become a skilled designer.
Use of toolbox / floating palettes and menu are key skills to be developed in this unit.
Apart from teaching you how to competently apply this industry standard software that is used in all universities and design firms throughout the world, you will be taught how to design and create using the appropriate steps of the Design Process, which focusses upon the capacity to research, develop and refine an outcome. Use the appropriate design terminology and technical language of this subject will also evolve throughout the unit.
InDesign is used by you to create pages out of your end of year “Reflections” magazine. You will be assigned a particular page or spread to work on and your page will then become part of the magazine distributed to all students in the school.
Time permitting we will also get an opportunity to explore Google “Sketchup”. Therefore all of the budding Architects, Interior Designers and Landscape designers will get an opportunity to use a free Google program that will allow you to design and create your own constructions.
What are we going to be studying?
* In this unit we teach you to design and create using the Adobe Creative Suite – Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign to develop a broad selection of design tasks.
* Task will include the development and creation of a personal logo personal business card and letterhead design, CD cover and advertising for your favourite musical artist/s, and magazine double page spreads that could be feature in your favourite magazine.
* You will also be required to develop a selection of design solutions that will require you to make use of the steps of the design process to research, develop and then refine a final outcome.
* Production of the school magazine is a genuine task that will provide you with an opportunity to see your designs transformed into a hard copy booklet that you will be proud to receive at the end of the school year.
* Introduction to “Google Sketchup” is also included in this unit, providing you with an opportunity to design in 3D.
Where does this subject go?
Careers – If you are interested in being a graphic designer, industrial designer, architect, interior designer, landscape designer, visual merchandiser or even a fashion designer many of the skills you will learn in this unit are a lead into VCE Visual Communication & Design Units 1 – 4, and a possible career in the Arts. It is worth noting that there are a great deal of university courses that cater for creative students that have an interest in design, promotion and advertising and Computer Design is the ideal lead into this.
Apart from the careers listed above this subject is advantageous if you’re looking at these careers: Digital/Web design, Advertising, Illustration, Typographic design, Set design, Exhibition/Display design, Engineering Design, Product design, Animation, Art and Design teacher, University lecturer, Textile designer, Photographer or Cartoonist.
Pathway – This unit is taught in semester two and would be an ideal subject for those interested in completing either Visual Communication & Design, Studio Arts, Media or even Fashion in VCE.
This unit should be considered in combination with Year 10 Viscom in Semester 1.