Table of Contents
About Year 10 Subject Selection
- Year 10 students are required to choose 5 electives and self select their level of mathematics.
- Year 10 students are viewed as bridging their education to Years 11 and 12, thus the timetable of Year 10 falls in line with the senior years structure.
- Year 10 students are encouraged to undertake a broad educational load encompassing all subject areas.
- Year 10s are able to undertake up to two VCE studies and specialise by choosing more electives from a specific learning area. Students moving from Year 9 Advanced Mathematics into Year 10 Pre-Methods are encouraged to take Unit 3 & 4 (Year 12) Further Mathematics. Please discuss this option with your Mathematics teacher.
VET options – available to Year 10 Pre-VCAL students (where available) and all Year 11/12 VCE students in the place of one VCE subject. VET is mandatory for all VCAL students.
A maximum of two VCE studies can be taken by Year 10 students. If you are unsure, please speak with your Year 9 Advanced studies teacher.
Health & Physical Education: Students who choose Global Health and Health Promotion or Body at Work at Year 10 can choose not to do CoreHealth PE.
|Electives - Religious Education (Choose between the following two options)|
|College based curriculum (all Year)||Texts and Traditions Unit 1|
Science: All students choose at least one science per semester and up to two sciences per semester.
Students completing Year 9 Science for Life must complete one Semester of Science in Year 10 from:
- Science in our World
- Creative Solutions
- Enviro Science.
Students may also choose to do more than one of these electives.
Pathways to VCE Sciences
VCE Biology – pre-requisite Biology + min 1 other science (not Science in our World)
VCE Chemistry – pre-requisite Chemistry +min 1 other science (not Science in our World)
VCE Physics – pre requisite Physics + min 1 other science (not Science in our World)
VCE Environmental Science – pre-requisite any two science options
VCE Psychology – pre-requisite minimum of one science option
Pathways to Tertiary Studies
Some universities have pre-requisite subjects for some of their courses. Students are advised to seek advice about pre-requisites for course they are interested in. If undecided about tertiary studies, students are advised to ensure that they select subjects that keep their options open.
Any student intending to study any Science at university (eg biomedicine, physics, nursing, engineering, etc) ought to ensure that they choose a pathway that allows them to study VCE Chemistry even if Chemistry is not listed as an official pre-requisite.
If I need to know more, who should I ask?
If you have questions about courses and subject requirements:
Ms Gab Mahon – Careers Practitioner
If you have questions about specific subjects:
Ask the relevant Learning Leader who will either answer the question or direct you to someone who can:
- English / Literature / Creative Writing: Ms Jo Ryan
- Science: Ms Madeline Smith
- LOTE Mr Eoghan Brownen
- The Arts Ms Jo Ryan
- Humanities Mrs Clare Meredith
- Mathematics Mr Patrick Dwyer
- RE Mr Patrick Dwyer
If you have questions about Pathways:
- VCE Mrs Kristi Cromer
- VCAL Mrs Sarah Clark
- VET Mrs Katie Wilson
- Wellbeing Mrs Kylie Power
- General Advice Mr Hugh Saunders (School Improvement Leader – Learning)
- General Advice Mr Andrew Damon (School Improvement Leader – Wellbeing)
If you have questions about subject selection processes:
Ms Jo Ryan Assistant Principal (Learning and Teaching)