What is this subject about?
Environmental science is an interdisciplinary science incorporating concepts from biology, chemistry, physics, and geology to help understand the earth’s processes. It looks at the impact humans are having on the environment and involves evaluating alternative energy systems, pollution control and mitigation, natural resource management, and the effects of global climate change.
What are we going to be studying?
During the semester, we will be studying:
The importance of maintaining biodiversity
How we can help to stop extinction, including a trip to the zoo
Ecology – the study of different habitats and the important interaction between species
The important interactions that occur between the atmosphere (air), lithosphere (earth’s crust), biosphere (living organisms) and hydrosphere (water).
Energy – fossil fuels versus renewable energy and the design of energy efficient products
Scientific research methods
Environmental issues of the day
This subject will give you a great lead into the following VCE subjects:
Environmental science, Geography, Outdoor Education, Biology and Chemistry
This subject is advantageous if you’re looking at these careers:
* Park ranger
* Soil scientist/Laboratory worker
* Natural therapist
* Mining engineer/mine surveyor
* Marine biologist/Ecologist/Environmental officer
* Landscape architect
* Geologist/Geophyicist/ Geological engineer
* Agricultural engineer/ Agronomist/Agricultural scientist
* Climatologist/Hydrographer/Hydrologist/ Water resources engineer
* Mine supervisor/Minerals process engineer/Natural resource manager
* Urban and regional planner
* Botanist/Zoologist/Zoo keeper/
* Nursery worker/ Landcare worker/Horticultural tradesperson/Greenkeeper
* Aquaculture technician/Farm manager/Animal technician/Fisheries officer
* Forest technical officer/ Arborist/Bushland regenerator
* Chemist/ Microbiologist/Toxicologist