What is this subject about?
VCE Biology is a popular science that will allow students to investigate the processes involved in sustaining life at cellular, system, species, and ecosystem levels.
What are we going to be studying?
The Biology course is divided up into four units. Units 1 & 2 should be completed in Yr 11 and Units 3 & 4 in Yr 12.
The course can be described by the following framing questions that reflect the inquiry nature of this Biology course:
Unit 1: How do living things stay alive?
Unit 2: How is continuity of life maintained?
Unit 3: How do cells maintain life?
Unit 4: How does life change and respond to challenges over time?
While studying Biology you can expect to develop a range of inquiry skills involving practical experimentation and research, analytical skills including critical and creating thinking and communication skills. All of these skills would be an asset to anyone pursuing further study in the areas of Health, the Environment or Science.
Where does this subject go?
This subject will give you a great lead into the following VCE subject/s:
* Environmental Science
This subject is advantageous if you’re looking at these careers:
* Dietician/Nutritionist/Food technologist
* Biomedicine/Medical scientist/Paramedic/ Medical Practitioner/Surgeon
* Forensic Scientist
* Dentist/ Dental assistant/ Dental hygienist
* Environmental scientist/Ecologist/ Environmental engineer
* Zoo keeper/ Animal attendant/ Farm manager/Forester/Horticulturist
* Medical scientist/Medical practitioner/Anaesthetist
* Laboratory worker/ Medical laboratory technician
* Farmer/Agricultural scientist
* Chemist/Chemical engineer/ Biochemist
* Pharmacist/ Pharmacologist
* Geologist/Soil scientist
* Sports doctor/Sports scientist/ Physiologist/ Physiotherapist
* Microbiologist/ Pathologist
* Marine biologist/ Botanist
* Optometrist/ Naturopathy/Radiationtherapist/Psychologist
* Veterinarian/ Veterinarian nurse