What is this subject about?
This study develops students’ ability to understand and use the language of a country which is one of Australia’s closest neighbours and is one of the most populous countries in the world. The study of Indonesian promotes the strengthening of links between Australia and Indonesia, in particular in areas such as business, tourism and education. Studying a language other than English contributes to the overall education of students, particularly in the area of communication, but also in cross-cultural understanding, cognitive development, and literacy.
The VCE Indonesian Second Language Course is designed for students who will, typically, have studied Indonesian for at least 400 hours at the completion of Year 12.
What are we going to be studying?
The VCE Indonesian course aims to develop the students’ skills in Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking in Indonesian. The main themes covered in Unit 1-4 are:
* Careers and Travel.
* Impact of the West on Indonesian Lifestyle.
* Women in Indonesian Society.
* Religion and Traditions.
* Indonesian –Australian Relations.
* The Environment.
Where does this subject go?
VCE Indonesian will give you a great lead into the following VCE subject/s:
* Global Politics
* The LOTE bonus for studying Indonesian means that 5 marks in total will be added to each of your other subjects when calculating your final score.
* In addition, if you are studying Indonesian as well as English and Maths Methods or Specialist Maths, you will be awarded an IB Certificate which will help you to access courses in some universities.
VCE Indonesian is also advantageous as your study score is usually scaled up by 7 to 9 marks.
It is helpful to study VCE Indonesian if you are considering these areas:
* Education- Teacher.
* Travel /Tourism Industry.
* Business/Public Relations.
* Defence Forces- translator, intelligence.
* Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.