What is this subject about?
Legal studies explores both criminal and civil law. You will follow the whole process from creation of laws, to the courtroom, verdicts and punishments. The study of law covers an enormous range of aspects and the VCE Legal Studies course aims to give you an overview of as many of those aspects as possible.
As you study Legal you will be looking at current case studies from the media, have the chance to attend a courtroom to see what you are learning in action, speak with those in a range of legal professions including police officers, and potentially visit Barwon prison to speak with some of Victoria’s worst criminals.
What are we going to be studying?
* Types of criminal laws and sanctions (punishments)
* Police powers and individuals rights
* The criminal courtroom
* Civil laws and process for dispute resolution
* Structure and role of Australia’s parliament in law-making
* Australia’s constitution
* Role of the courts in making laws
* Analysis of the jury system
Unit 1: Guilt and liability
Unit 2: Sanctions, remedies and rights
Unit 3: Rights and justice
Unit 4: The people and the law
Where does this subject go?
This subject will give you a great lead into the following VCE subject/s:
* Works well with global politics
* Helps with English (issues)
This subject is advantageous if you’re looking at these careers:
* Court Officer
* Court reporter (journalist)
* Police officer
* Border Protection
* Public servant