What is this subject about?
This study develops students’ ability to understand and use the language of a country which is one of Australia’s closest neighbours and is one of the most populous countries in the world. The study of Indonesian promotes the strengthening of links between Australia and Indonesia, in particular in areas such as business, tourism and education. Studying a language other than English contributes to the overall education of students, particularly in the area of communication, but also in cross-cultural understanding, cognitive development, and literacy.
What are we going to be studying?
The Year 10 Indonesian course aims to develop the students’ skills in Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking in Indonesian. The main themes covered:
* We will learn about some of the top tourist sites of Indonesia, write about them and learn the language that would be useful if we were to visit these amazing places.
* We will look at some of the fascinating celebrations and ceremonies of this culturally diverse country and use our Indonesian to talk about them.
* We will read about the advantages of immersing yourself in the culture, language and environment of Indonesia through Student Exchange Programs so that we can reflect upon these advantages through a formal speech.
* We will learn about the health system in Indonesia (with a focus on traditional as well as formal treatments) and role play with others how to communicate illness and seek medical assistance.
* Recognising the importance of the varied ways to communicate, we will showcase our understanding of the language through assessment based our written, oral and listening skills.
Where does this subject go?
Year 10 Indonesian will give you a great lead into the following VCE subject/s:
* VCE Indonesian Second Language-
Note: You must have completed Year 10 Indonesian if you wish to continue studying Indonesian at a VCE level.
* Global Politics
* The LOTE bonus for studying Indonesian means that 5 marks in total will be added to each of your other subjects when calculating your final score at the end of Year 12.
* In addition, if you are studying Indonesian as well as English and Maths Methods or Specialist Maths in Year 12, you will be awarded an IB Certificate which will help you to access courses in some universities.
VCE Indonesian is also advantageous as your study score is usually scaled up by 7 to 9 marks.
It is helpful to study VCE Indonesian if you are considering these areas:
* Education- Teacher.
* Travel /Tourism Industry.
* Business/Public Relations.
* Defence Forces- translator, intelligence.
* Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.