What is this subject about?
This elective involves teaching the Basic Fundamental Motor Skills through modified games to Grade 1 students at a local Primary School. The course aims to make the learning of sport, fun for the children. Students are given the opportunity to work with the children for 13 – 16 sessions of 45 minute duration.
The non- teaching- time will be spent learning how to plan sequential lessons, assess performance of self, peers and the children and to set future goals to improve performance. As well as teaching, this one semester course involves mostly working in groups and strives to give students the opportunity to develop a range of personal and interpersonal skills which include leadership, self- confidence, cooperation, patience and a range of other social skills.
What are we going to be studying?
* How to teach, observe and correct the Basic Fundamental Motor Skills (BFS).
* Theory and practical sessions on BFS.
* How to plan sequential lessons.
* A range of Teaching Skills/Practices
* Safety considerations. (OHS awareness)
* Assessments of peers, children and self with goal setting.
Where does this subject go?
* Physical Education Units 1,2,3 and 4
* Health and Human Development Units 1 and 2
* Psychology Units 1 and 2
* VCAL Personal Development Skills units at year 11 or 12
* VET Certificates in Education Support or similar
* VET Certificate in Sport and Recreation Personal Training/Childcare
This subject is advantageous if you’re looking at these careers:
* Kindergarten Teaching
* Teaching / Primary and Secondary
* Traineeships in schools
* Personal Trainer
* Sports Coach
* After school care
* Child care
* Child welfare
* Sport Development officer
* Sport and exercise psychologist.