What is this subject about?
VCE Environmental Science is an interdisciplinary science that explored the interactions and interconnectedness between humans and their environments and analyses the functions of both living and non-living elements that sustain Earth systems.
What are we going to be studying?
The Environmental Science course is divided up into four units. Units 1 & 2 should be completed in Year 10 or 11 and Units 3 & 4 in Year 11 or 12.
The course can be described by the following framing questions that reflect the inquiry nature of this Environmental Science course:
Unit 1: How are Earth’s dynamic systems interconnected to support life?
Unit 2: What affects Earth’s capacity to sustain life?
Unit 3: How can biodiversity and development be sustained?
Unit 4: How can climate change and the impacts of human energy use be managed?
While studying Environmental Science you can expect to work individually and also as part of an inquiry team. You will explore the challenges that past and current human interactions with the environment presents for the future by considering how Earth’s atmosphere, biosphere, hydrosphere and lithosphere function as interrelated systems. Students will also examine how environmental actions affect, and are affected by, ethical, social and political frameworks.
Where does this subject go?
This subject will give you a great lead into the following VCE subject/s:
This subject is advantageous if you’re looking at these careers:
* Park ranger
* Soil scientist/Laboratory worker
* Natural therapist
* Mining engineer/mine surveyor
* Marine biologist/Ecologist/Environmental officer
* Landscape architect
* Geologist/Geophyicist/ Geological engineer
* Agricultural engineer/ Agronomist/Agricultural scientist
* Climatologist/Hydrographer/Hydrologist/ Water resources engineer
* Mine supervisor/Minerals process engineer/Natural resource manager
* Urban and regional planner
* Botanist/Zoologist/Zoo keeper/
* Nursery worker/ Landcare worker/Horticultural tradesperson/Greenkeeper
* Aquaculture technician/Farm manager/Animal technician/Fisheries officer
* Forest technical officer/ Arborist/Bushland regenerator
* Chemist/ Microbiologist/Toxicologist