What is this subject about?
VCE Physics examines models and ideas used to make sense of the world. By looking at the way matter and energy interact through observations, measurements and experiments, students expect to gain a better understanding of the underlying laws of nature.
What are we going to be studying?
The Physics course is divided up into four units. Units 1 & 2 should be completed in Year 11 and Units 3 & 4 in Year 12.
The course can be described by the following framing questions that reflect the inquiry nature of this Physics course:
Unit 1: How is energy useful to society?
Unit 2: How does physics help us to understand the world?
Unit 3: How do fields explain motion and electricity?
Unit 4: How can two contradictory models explain both light and matter?
While studying Physics you can expect to work individually and also as part of an inquiry team. You will develop your skills surrounding observations, experiments, measurements and mathematical analysis in order to find quantitative explanations for phenomena. The development of these skills would be an asset to anyone pursuing further study in a varied range of Sciences and study pathways.
Where does this subject go?
This subject will give you a great lead into the following VCE subject/s:
* Environmental Science
This subject is advantageous if you’re looking at these careers:
* Architectural technician/Architect
* Pilot/ Air Force technician/ Air traffic controller
* Surveying technician/Surveyor
* Computer engineer
* Sports medicine/ Biomedical engineer/Biophysicist
* Geophysicist/Meteorologist/Geological engineer
* Mechanical engineer/Industrial engineer/ Marine engineer/Electrical engineer
* Mining engineer/ Mechanical engineer/Computer engineer/ Civil engineer
* Radiation therapist/Nuclear medicine technologist/Medical imaging technologist
* Telecommunications technician/ Telecommunications engineer
* Optical mechanic
* Medical laboratory technician
* Sound technician/ audiovisual technician
* Environmental scientist
* Astronomer/ Aerospace engineer
* Prosthetic/ Orthotic